Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hockey Bag Stew

Last night I was searing some chicken thighs covered in tons of freshly chopped oregano before roasting them with potatoes, carrots, and white turnips in my cast iron Dutch oven. Joe came home from work right as I was creating a sauce of sauteed (chopped) purple scallions, chicken broth, white wine, and half and half, in the pan that I had used to sear my meat so that I could capture all of the brown bits and leftover oregano. My plan was to add this sauce to the thighs and veggies in the Dutch oven.

Anyway, Joe started investigating what was for dinner, and as an aside I told him that we really needed to pick up our cheese consumption since a new cheese shipment was coming from Harmony Valley this week. Joe asked what cheese he could have for an appetizer, so I showed him the remnants of last shipment's cheddar, veggie, and Camembert cheeses. Joe asked me why I was saving the two lonely tablespoons of Camembert (most had gone to the strawberry pancake recipe). Joe continued, "Are you going to toss that Camembert in that sauce on the stove or something?" I thought that was a good idea, so I did. But oh, the smell. Joe coined the dish, "this smells like my hockey bag stew." To save the day, Joe and I started adding stuff to the pan to dilute the pungent taste of the Camembert. More wine, broth and cream along with a few tablespoons of honey. Once the taste met Joe's approval, we steamed the potatoes, carrots and turnips in the broth for a few minutes before adding them to the Dutch oven to roast until the chicken and veggies were done.

I called and warned Mike that dinner would smell like a hockey bag when he arrived home, but that Joe and I were confident the taste would be okay. The roasted dish was more than okay. The Camembert added an awesome flavor to the chicken and veggies. Mike even made a gravy out of the sauce, and we smothered everything in the hockey bag gravy. At dinner Joe and I laughed over my quickness to toss the Camembert into the pan without much thought. Oh well, we invented such a tasty new dish that Mike said, "You have to write this up on the blog so that we don't forget how to make this meal."

3 comments:

R. Mansfield said...

I've just added a link to your post in our newest "Cast Iron Around the Web" entry at http://www.cookingincastiron.com

Anonymous said...

Jackie-
I am not a big fan of chicken thighs, but I am going to try this on Charley!

Elizabeth B. (from work)

Jackie said...

Elizabeth, I'm so glad that you're reading the blog and making one of my crazy creations. I chuckled when I noticed that you were making this odor-rific recipe. Did Charley play hockey?